Ever find yourself coming down with a case of the munchies, but everything convenient is not very nutritious? Story of my life, especially during pregnancy and breastfeeding! The following are some of my favourite ideas and recipes/links to keep me (and my kids) on a mostly-healthy track with our snacking throughout the day!
Do some quick planning & prep…
In my meal planner rotation, I have not only breakfast, lunch, and dinner planned out, but I also plan a mid-morning and an afternoon snack. I’ve found this to be really helpful to keep me on track and make sure my kids and I don’t fall into bad snacking habits.
As a general rule of thumb, I try to make our morning snack centred around fruit (e.g. something like apple slices and peanut butter, or berries and yogurt) and our afternoon snack veggie-based (e.g. veggies and hummus, crackers with cream cheese and cucumbers, etc.)
I’ve found planning snacks out in advance helps me make sure I have healthy options around and ready. It also has been really helpful in making sure that life with a toddler and pre-toddler isn’t just one never-ending snack session – when my toddler asks for a snack, I can show her the meal plan on the fridge and tell her what we’re having, that it’s one substantial and yummy snack (not a million bits of this and that every 5 minutes!), and there’s a predictable routine to it all.
Some Favourite Morning Snacks
- apple slices dipped in nut butter or yogurt
- sliced fruit and a cookie
- peanut butter and banana sandwiches
- home-made munchie mix (usually involving some combination of freeze-dried fruit & coconut, nuts, dry cereal, etc.)
- home-made Nutri Grain bars (check out this yummy recipe from Half Baked Harvest)
Some Favourite Afternoon Snacks
- veggies dipped in hummus or dip/dressing
- home-made savoury munchie mix (usually some combination of freeze-dried veggies, small crackers, etc.)
- crackers and cheese (usually cheddar or cream cheese) and cucumbers
- cottage cheese with fruits/veggies
- mini pita “pizzas” (just toss a bit of ketchup, veggies, and mozzarella on a mini pita)
- hard-boiled eggs
- home-made granola bars (this recipe from Once Upon a Chef are delicious!)
Do you have a snack strategy or some favourite go-to snacks? Comment below!